- 2 1/4 cups self rising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup Crisco or softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped sauerkraut
- 3/4 stick butter
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1 lb. powered sugar
- 2 t. vanilla
- 5 T cocoa
- 6-8 T milk
- To make the cake:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.In a large bowl, cream together butter with 1 1/2 cups sugar
until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each
addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the flour in three
stages alternately with the water, mixing well. Stir in the sauerkraut.
- Coat a 10-inch Bundt pan or a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
Pour batter into desired pan and bake 35 to 45 minutes, depending on
the pan used, or until a toothpick tests clean. Cool Bundt pan on wire
rack 15 minutes before inverting onto wire rack to cool completely. If
using a 13x9-inch pan. Let cool completely in pan.
- To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, salt, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until smooth and creamy. Spread on cake.