- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 ½ cups plain flour (not self rising)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring or extract
1. Put the margarine or butter out to soften a little before mixing up the cake, so it is easier to blend with the other ingredients.
2. Combine butter, shortening and sugar and cream until fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time and beat until well mixed with sugar/butter ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
5. Add the lemon flavoring to the cup of buttermilk.
6. Alternative small amounts of the flour mixture with the buttermilk and beat well after each addition. Pound cakes need a lot of mixing to get enough air in the batter so that the cake turns out high and with a good texture.
7. Grease and lightly flour a pound cake tube pan.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for around an hour and fifteen minutes. A toothpick should come out clean from the center when the cake is done.