As temperatures drop, cravings for piping-hot soup seem to rise. Warm up with a bowl of creamy chicken tortilla soup, paired with tortilla chips for topping (or dipping!).For this recipe, you can use store-bought chicken broth or try to make your own. The recipe’s original author, The Daring Gourmet, suggests making your own broth since you have to cook the chicken anyway – just make sure to buy chicken breasts with the bone in and skin on!
Simply let your 1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken simmer in the slow cooker for about six hours with three cups of water and celery, carrots, onions, garlic, peppercorns, and a bay leaf. If you don’t have the time, however, chicken broth from the grocery store also works!
This recipe also calls for masa harina, traditionally used to make corn masa. If you can’t find masa harina, cornmeal can be used as a substitute but might not provide the same flavor. Finely grinding up corn tortillas in a food processor would be a better bet to match the taste of masa harina.
Now, get your sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chips ready for this comforting meal.
Chicken Tortilla Soup RecipeIngredients
- Shredded chicken from one large cooked chicken breast (between 1 and 1.5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (or cornmeal/finely ground corn tortillas as substitute)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and tortilla chips for topping
- Heat the butter in a Dutch oven or large cooking pot over medium-high heat and sauté the onions until tender and soft, about seven minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the masa harina (or substitute) and flour and stir to combine. Cook for one minute. Gradually add the broth, whisking constantly to prevent clumping. Add the evaporated milk and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add the shredded chicken, salsa, corn, beans, and all the spices. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro. Stir to combine and warm through for another minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup hot topped with more sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, and crumbled tortilla chips (if you like).
Recipe adapted from The Daring Gourmet